Accession Number P75-54-0063g, Hughes Company Glass Negatives Collection
Courtesy of the Photography Collections, University of Maryland, Baltimore Country
Image Number Neg Z9.395.PP8, Hughes Studio Photograph Collection,
Courtesy of the Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
Public transit in Baltimore went through a series of highs and lows ending with the eventual upheaval of streetcars for the more modern modes of transit. The initial forms of public transit were horse drawn cars used in the 1850s. By the 1880s, horse drawn cars were replaced by electric streetcars. In 1899, the streetcar companies were consolidated into United Railway and Electric. At this time, United Railway streetcars serviced all of Baltimore. Automobiles were only used by the upper classes, so streetcars were the only option for moving around the city.